Check out the devotional I wrote for camp!
Something that has impacted me so much this year is listening to God. Something as simple how much influence God has in your day purely by having an open mind and listening to Him is what makes the difference. I know personally that this past year, it’s been a learning experience. A lot of things for me have changed in my daily life and, If I hadn’t listened to God, I know that I would not be where I am today, and I would not be the person I am today.
I want you to read this verse to a song,
When you think about those words, they are a powerful declaration of your willingness to follow God. But a key part of that is the part where it says, “if you will call out to me”.
In that verse of Jason’s song, it says, “I will walk on the water if you will call out to me” it is simply showing that you are willing to do what God calls to you.
In Matthew 14 it says,
Can you see the immense faith that Peter needed to have to listen to Jesus? That’s the kind of radical faith that you put forward as a Christ follower.
When you are looking to Listen to God, you will come into three different voices. One, the voice of God, another the voice of your own desires, and finally the voice of the devil. I know that sometimes it is difficult to know what is God’s voice in a world like today’s, what to listen for, or how to hear his voice.
- Be willing to Listen. Listening to God starts with one huge step. Being willing to listen to God. This is different than normal listening because you can’t just pick and choose what you want to listen to. This means making time to dig into the word and quiet your mind. God’s voice can come at any time of the day, not just during a quiet time, but anytime.
- In your heart, be truly seeking God. Human nature is selfish desire, but you have to trust that the Holy Spirit will work within you to draw you closer to God and listen to his voice. When listening to God you have, to be honest with Him, have to tell Him.
- Read your Bible. When you read your Bible, you become closer to God. You get to know the true loving heart of God. You begin to be able to recognize the different teachings of God, this is vital to listening to God, especially when you get back to your lives, so you can decipher when it’s the voice of God.
- Have Patience. I believe that one of the hardest things to do is to be patience with God. God has divine timing for everything. What we think is the best timing, may not be his timing. Ultimately, you may not hear something immediately, but that is what having faith in God is about. It’s about relying on Him.
- Obey God. So this is probably one of the more difficult parts, but this is what God says in the book of Isaiah, chapter 55 verse 8, “For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways’ declares the Lord.”
Faith truly takes complete willingness and complete devotion. This is your week to clear your head of all the different things that are happening back home. This is the one week out of the entire year where you can completely abandoned everything at home, have no distractions and focus completely on God.
I want you to sit here with an open heart, possibly close your eyes, or hold your hands out, and say to God,
I am listening.
Ask Him for the ability to recognize the difference between his voice and your thoughts.
Listen to what God has to say, whatever you need to do, do it with the Glorification of God in mind.